Thinking of Starting a Business?
Then don’t miss this FREE 2 Day Business Essentials Workshop!! Or do you know someone who may be interested?
Tue, 17 Oct 2017, 09:30 – Wed, 18 Oct 2017, 16:00 Weymouth College, Cranford Avenue, Weymouth, DT4 7LQ
This event is only for Dorset based businesses / individuals as part of eligibility criteria. There is one place available for each business. Register here.
When you’re starting in business it’s important that you get the essentials right. This comprehensive, fully funded by European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), two day workshop will provide information and guidance to help deal with the key issues that are going to be fundamental to the performance and success of your business. They are delivered by experienced trainers – real business people who will give you the opportunity to ask questions and invite discussion. The workshops are provided for people planning on starting a business or those who have recently started.
If you are based in Poole, Bournemouth or Christchurch please call us before booking your place.
These are the practicalities that will bring your idea to life. We’ll show you how to draft a business plan, think about premises or working from home, and comply with legislation. You will learn how to run your business in a legal and ethical way and, most importantly, understand the key reasons why businesses fail and make sure you don’t make the same mistakes.
We will cover:
- ‘What is’ and ‘why complete’ a business plan?What should a business plan contain? Who is it for?
- Legal status. Sole trader, limited company, partnership etc. Which is right for you?
- Reasons for failure and importantly, how to avoid the pitfalls.
- Business names. Choosing the right name for your business.
- Income tax and National Insurance. Registering with HMRC. Understanding tax responsibilities.
- VAT. Should you or do you need to register? Advantages and disadvantages.
- Health & Safety. Your responsibilities. Policies and risk assessments explained.
- Employment and consumer law. An introduction to the legislation that may affect your business.
- Insurances. What are the risks? What insurance cover should you consider and what is required by law?
- Marketing. How to research and plan. Profiling your customers. Know your competition. Where to advertise?
- Without sales you have no business, and this day will explain how to effectively promote and sell your product or service.
We’ll also explain the importance of cash flow forecasts, maintaining records and book keeping, financing your business as well as reviewing and presenting your business plan.
You will learn about:
- Pricing and promoting.Determining the ‘right pricing’ for your business. Marketing plans and strategies.
- Customer service.What it means to you and your customers. How to ‘delight’ your customers.
- Website design.Knowing your target audience. Site content and structure. How will you update and maintain?
- Social Media. How can social media benefit your business? Is it appropriate for your business? Which to use?
- Selling. The importance of good product/service knowledge. Sales interview techniques. Knowing your customers.
- Profit and loss/Break Even. Crunching the numbers. Gross profit/trading profit.
- Capital Allowances/Expenses.What expenses can you claim? Working from home? Travelling costs?
- Book-keeping. How is your business doing? How much can you draw? Completing tax returns.
- Invoicing and financial management. Terms and conditions. Maintaining records – keeping it simple.
- Financing your business. Exploring the finance options. Reviewing and presenting the business plan.
About the Dorset Business Growth Programme (Dorset Growth Hub) funded by European Regional Development Fund:
The Dorset Business Growth Programme (Dorset Growth Hub) is funded by the European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. The Department for Communities and Local Government (and in London the intermediate body Greater London Authority) is the Managing Authority for European Regional Development Fund. Established by the European Union, the European Regional Development Fund helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations. For more information visit https://www.gov.uk/european-growth-funding
If you are based in Poole, Bournemouth or Christchurch please call us before booking your place as only Weymouth (and surrounding area) residents qualify a place.
For any further information or special requirements for course attendance, please contact Dorset Growth Hub:
Tel – 03454 586 480 E-mail – email@example.com