President Craig welcomed all attendees at the Chamber breakfast meeting last Tuesday, and went on to emphasise the proven importance of all businesses working together.
Members discussed various issues such as:
- Mary from The Old Dive Centre on the plans for more harbour meetings to resolve working issues with such a diverse variety of business in the area.
- Nicki from Wessex Trichology Clinic on the difficulties all businesses face as they face another close down.
- Blanchards Bailey Solicitors encourage everyone able to grow a moustache for “Movember” and especially their effort to raise funds for Prostate Cancer research.
After welcoming and thanking our sponsor CM Energy, President Craig welcomed Vice President Julia Cohen, Head of External Partnerships in Weymouth College who went on to present on their Employer Services, with Sarah Barnett, Head of Business Development.
This is brief resume of the information from Weymouth College.
Bringing together our Apprenticeship team, the Dorset Training Academy and the External Partnerships team to form a wider collaborative service to deliver the support and training our local businesses need
- Impact of Covid-19
- Weymouth College’s Role
- Business Support
- Government Information – simplified
- Fact sheets, Newsletter, Webinars
- Employer Advisory Groups
- Ongoing Skills Support
Dorset Training Academy
- Created to Continue and Strengthen the Partnership between Business & Education
- Enhancing & Providing the Knowledge and Skills that Dorset’s workforce need
- Face 2 Face training – at Weymouth College – In your Workplace
- Online Training
- Full Cost & Free Training
Weymouth Kickstart Gateway is live!
- Supporting young people at risk of long term unemployment
- Helping to Kickstart Careers
- Recruitment support when businesses need it most
- 6 month placements – 25 hours per week
- Government Funding – £1500 + plus wages
- Progression opportunities
Sarah Barnett, Head of Business Development
- Take on a new apprentice between 1 Sept 20 and 31 Jan 21
- 16-24 year old £2000
- 25 year + £1500
- Available to any size of employer
- Paid in 2 instalments (1st payment after 90 days and 2nd payment after a year)
- Factsheet available
- 20 different sectors that support business needs
- Working with all types of employers from SME to large companies
- Apprenticeship bonuses are available until the end of Jan 2021